Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

For Simon to have a look at

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For Simon to have a look at

Post by Guest on 26th February 2011, 20:04

This is the Sympathie X Gertrude Jekyll cross I was talking about being completely flat on the ground surface. Throwing in a pic of the plant and flower

Now something new and think you would be interested in this cross
Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mutabilis. Foliage is similar to seed parent and while other roses have a bit of BS, it is clean as a whistle.

Back to top Go down

Re: For Simon to have a look at

Post by Admin on 26th February 2011, 20:12

Does the 'Gertrude Jekyll' seedling have any of the perfume of its pollen parent??? That growth habit is a throw back to its kordesii heritage (and further back to wichurana as the Kordesii line started off something like rugosa x wichurana (or the other way around) Arrow 'Max Graf' Arrow Kordesii (tetraploid). Sounds like the start of DA groundcovers Warren Thumbsup I don't have 'Gertrude Jekyll' anymore as mine was virused Sad

That last one is a beauty! The petal count will continue to increase as it gets older too. I think 'Mutabilis' has so much to offer as a pollen parent. I intend to use it HARD next season. There are mutabilis hybrid seeds ripening on the bushes now that I'm excited about too.

Last edited by Simon on 27th February 2011, 08:27; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26th February 2011, 20:49

The Baronne Ed rothschild X Mutabilis has been in the grow out beds for a few years and has'nt changed much, its advantage is its health.

The ground cover DA type, I can see it on a 6ft standard as a weeping form, you would see the flowers quite well then.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 27th February 2011, 07:34

Warren as you are well into breeding, is there any rose that you think will not cross.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th February 2011, 08:35

Ah... right.. I was assuming the 'Mutabilis' seedling's flower was its first. Does it flower right through winter and put on a big display as mutabilis does? How big is the bush? How much of the 'Mutabilis' twiggy shrubby habit was lost when put through HT? Did the foliage stay like 'Mutabilis' foliage (i.e. Chinaish)?

So far, the seedlings I have with 'Mutabilis' as a pollen parent have lost a lot of the mutabilis properties quite easily. I especially like the chromatic shift in the petals as they change from orange to red. I've put it with 'Trier' this year to try for a hybrid musk that blooms it's head of with flowers of different shades of red and orange in semi double like 'Autumn Bells'. Singles seem to dominate for me so far.

Yes, the 6ft standard idea is a great one. I might ask a few questions on RHA about how often Kordesii derivatives throw back to rambler form too...

Last edited by Simon on 27th February 2011, 09:02; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th February 2011, 08:59

That Mutabilis cross is the same age as Shazzam, it flowers for a long period of time and repeats quite quickly. Growth wise , it is completely differant than Mutabilis, Canes are very thick , foliage is dk green leathery.

When I crossed Safrano with Mutabilis the growth, structure , leaf size and type were very china 'ish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th February 2011, 09:51

That ground hugging trait also showed up with Sympathie crossed with Maigold , Just Joey and probably a few more , I would have to look a the tags. Leaves range from being semi glossy to glossy , med size , but concidering the different crosses they all looked similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 27th February 2011, 10:42

Am I reading this right, have you crossed Sympathie with Just Joey, if so have a flower to show of it yet.
Damo our member from Goulburn loves JJ and I am sure he would love to see a flower as well.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th February 2011, 10:53

Some have flowered, but the heat we had here made them not very nice to look at, the thing about it is were i have most of my roses is a 20 min drive out of town and I only get out there twice a week, and when i do, I have normally missed the flowering to take decent pics. About 20% of the Sympathie's formed ground hugging ramblers and did'nt flower , along with those and others , around 100 were pulled out last thursday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum