by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Best cutting rose

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Best cutting rose

Post by RitaG on 18th March 2011, 21:46

I responded to your post stamped 9.29 Simon, but then when I pressed send, it sort of disappeared. I waffled on about Mary Magdalene shattering all too soon but waxed on about its heart breaking beauty making it all worth while.
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th March 2011, 21:51

If someone else posts before you while you are typing a response it won't appear... it will ask you to modify it but I find that I sometimes get a little too eager and click right past this modify part and so lose the post... which as you have discovered is a PITB when you've 'waxed' on for some time.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 18th March 2011, 21:53

Indeed! Most likely solves the mystery as you have described Simon silent
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 18th March 2011, 21:57

thanks, poor things as soon as they get buds I'm eyeing them off, if I had the room I would get it, but as it is I try to get ones that last.
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 18th March 2011, 21:59

ahhh makes sense
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 18th March 2011, 22:44

Life is ephemeral and so there is a lesson about life in lots of roses. I overheard a person at a rose show say" those roses are so stiff, they look like toffee apples only different colours!"
Your taste in roses changes unless you are a very focussed exhibitor - wanting to win prizes. There is a whole world of roses out there. I grow them for their history - I have Peace 1902 to commemorate the Boer War, Pax 1918 to mark the end of WWI and Peace 1945 for WWII.
I adore Parole - for its generosity of bloom. Othello DAustin to remember the first time I saw David Ruston arrange fantastic, sumptous arrangements in the Exhibition Bldg in Melbourne.
St Patrick rarely blooms for me but Rose of Wagga Waggao right next to St P blooms often. Blue for You is my favourite floribunda.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th March 2011, 22:49

Oh yes! 'Blue for You' is a stunner!!! love

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 18th March 2011, 23:07

Blue for You sets masses of hips and I have planted some. Two seeds have produced two very vigorous plants with blooms not unlike but exactly like the parent plant.

Ritter Von Bardmstadt never is without flower - Gardens of St Erth which is a little multiflora type bush never, ever, ever is without flowers.
Maman Cochet is possibly my favourite tea rose.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th March 2011, 23:21

Good to know that 'Blue for You' can produce decent seedlings. I have used it as both seed & pollen parent this year! Smile

Next year I am hitting it with r. fedtschenkoana pollen.

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 19th March 2011, 09:54

Hi everyone. I will add Parade to the list here, as when I didn't have much blooming in my garden as dead heading hadn't been done all Summer or exta watering, I took a bloom of Parade to the show and got best exhibit with it. There wasn't much competition there though.
Also I finally got a bed of my newer David Austins mowed and weeded and the rose bush at the front, Lady of Megginch, bloomed a stunning rose to say thankyou.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 20th March 2011, 10:55

I have noticed that when I go to pick some roses they have holes in the buds, is that caused by thrips? Rotten things they are. Grrr.
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 20th March 2011, 11:30

Any chance of a picture, but I suspect beetle problem.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 20th March 2011, 11:58

It's raining at the moment, but I can describe them as black, small and appear to be round at the back, I think Hibiscus beetle. ( I was just looking at pics of them) They seem to like certain roses. The other ones seem to be ok.
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 20th March 2011, 15:10

Again do not quote me, but, rose weevil could be him/her scratch
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 22nd March 2011, 21:40

I went and had a look so I could take a pic and do you think I could find any? Who ever heard of camera shy bugs? Dunno
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 24th March 2011, 20:14

Tantrum Thoses rotten bugs! I was looking forward to PJPII blooms opening and those whatever they are has already got to them and put holes in them. I have been spraying with Confidor and Mathalon ( I think it's spelt wrong). Have been having a lot of rain this Summer. Only really had a few hot days. Is there something else that's better to use? When you mix up Mathalon with water, is it one of those things that stops working after a while; that is do you need to use the spray up quickly?
As Lucille Ball says WAAAAAAAA! Thinking maybe flamethrower might be a tad extreme but I feel like using one. Twisted Evil Will try to take a pic on the weekend.
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 24th March 2011, 22:01

Could Rosalie and Rita (and anyone else with an opinion) please comment on which DAs last reasonably well in a vase?

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 25th March 2011, 05:56

Surely Meryl you forgot "smell" as well if possible, any choice of colour Question
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 25th March 2011, 09:01

Well, you're right of course, David. Fragrant is always better. But in this case, I would like to know about ANY DAs that last reasonably well, perfumed or not, and regardless of colour.

Meryl

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 25th March 2011, 13:07

Meryl I find most of them do okay as cut flowers indoors . The only exception that I can think of right now is Anne Boleyn which tends to shatter very easily so I leave her outside and enjoy her in the garden.
Graham Thomas , Abraham Darby, Sweet Juliet , Evelyn , Jude the Obscure , The Dark Lady , Pat Austin , Swan , and Eglantyne are all ones that I pick on a regular basis.

Interesting to read about Simon's experiences with The Children's Rose as I rate that as a fantastic cut flower ; smells divine , has long long stems if you need them , repeats well and keeps a week in a vase on average for me . Ditto for Best Friend .
Another elegant and shapely bloom in a vase is The Lady however it is not quite as long lasting .
I have had some fantastic blooms on my Princesse de Monaco this year [it has been loving this hot dry weather - about the only thing that is Tantrum ] and I have been picking them and bringing them inside and they have been keeping really well .
I did take photo's for this thread but unfortunately they are on "my" computer which has gone in for brain surgery so they'll just have to wait.

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 25th March 2011, 14:07

Thanks, Rosalie, that will be very helpful for the future. Frustratingly right now, your list doesn't include any of the roses I picked this morning to take to a very ill friend in an hour or so. I am hoping they won't collapse too quickly. They include Golden Celebration, Scepter'd Isle, The Endeavour, Canterbury, Grace and Molyneux. Any info on these would be welcome for future reference. (If you are wondering why I don't know about these, it's because the other half is an orchid nutter and there are always so many orchids in bloom in the house that I don't pick the roses.)

Meryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 25th March 2011, 17:45

The Children's Rose is a nice rose but seems to collapse on me after a day or so in a vase... when compared to roses like 'Kardinal', 'First Gold', 'Antique Silk' (AKA 'Champagner'), 'Happy Anniversary', and 'Eliza' which all last well over a week.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 25th March 2011, 19:10

Simon are you sure it's The Children's Rose? It's one of the best picking roses here - has the best of everything - few prickles, very strong stems, great smell, and long vase life. Autumn blooms remind me of Souvenir de la Malmaison.

Meryl my best picking DA is Radio Times. Thrives in the heat, so lasts well in the vase in summer. Intoxicating perfume. It's an angular grower but bushes up after a few years. Prickles are a pain.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 25th March 2011, 19:45

I quite like the look of childrens rose, originaly I was going to get Fairy tale Queen because it's supposed to be quite good, a liitle pale though, but hard to get. But it was suggested to me by the lady at the nursery that I try Truly Yours. Small bush with very large flowers. Supposed to last. Anyone had any expirence with it?
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 25th March 2011, 21:35

Yep... it's The Children's Rose.. mine is the same in all ways except the vase life.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: