» Garden or Exhibition roses?
by Ozeboy 6th May 2017, 09:28

» Potted Roses
by KokoSam 23rd April 2017, 13:25

Pure and Single :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pure and Single :)

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 15:01

A newie out last week. This one is 'Wild Rover' x 'Softee'. It is thornless, standard sized (this flower is some 10cm in diametre), fragrant, and so far quite healthy like 'Softee'.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This will become a breeder only I think. It gets its singleness from Rosa wichurana.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pure and Single :)

Post by Guest on 26th January 2011, 15:14

pure simplicity Thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 26th January 2011, 16:26

Out of left field, does it/ or will repeat.
New bred roses that are single "might" get the public back to them in their small gardens and the other thing that comes to mind is smell. What I am saying is if the public can see, minimal desease,repeat flowering,(as we(want everything yesterday).
The public at the present time, want all show up front, not yesterday as I think it becomes a (status thing)
All of this is only my opinion
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5100
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 16:42

Generally a seedling that blooms in its first season will go on to be fully recurrent.

I don't get what you mean by:

The public at the present time, want all show up front, not yesterday as I think it becomes a (status thing)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26th January 2011, 17:16

I think what he trying to say Simon is , gardeners what value for money, they think big and bright flowering all the time with minimal care is the way to go.

Talking about seedlings blooming non stop in there first year, thats why I get excited when crossing OGR with modern and that happens (eg)
indica major, Alba maxima and Raubritter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 17:34

I noticed you had a lovely seedling from Raubritter... you like to choose the difficult parents Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 17:47

I think the Australian public has a very conservative taste when it comes to roses and singles would be hard pressed to be a viable commercial variety... whether they be recurrent, healthy, or pink with purple polka dots. If it doesn't look like a HT then people don't want to know about it. The only people who will like it are those like the members of Rose Talk because they have a greater appreciation of roses. But then again... with the right marketing you can sell ice to the Eskimos right Wink I guess I not only breed to try and create something that could possibly be commercially released but also for myself and I like singles. Maybe I will propagate a few each year and sell them on the Rose Talk Auction site (which I intend to use more this winter) as collectors type roses or limited edition type roses.

Last edited by Simon on 26th January 2011, 17:59; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26th January 2011, 17:53

Howdy Simon, that little raubritter cross is covered with flower buds, not really happy with it yet, but I hoping it will improve because I think if let to develop into a mature bush I would say it will be covered in flowers. Difficult parents have a lot of hidden qualities that not many people have released, plus I play a lot of GOLF I live for the challenge Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26th January 2011, 18:00

I call some of those HT's plastic roses, mid you there are a lot of nice HT's out with out the plastic look, I think thats why I like Ht's bred late 1800's to about 1920, they have the pure quality about them.

Now for the singles, I think rose enthusiast's appreciate the single bloom, there is always a market for them, David Austin released a few singles /semi doubles in the late 1990's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 18:10

I think the singles need to be something pretty special to be viable though. I think Rosalie's beautiful single seedling, on the portal page, has that something special and would be a very successful commerical rose (I know I would buy some off her). Somethign to work towards maybe... the thornless feature is a good start Thumbsup

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26th January 2011, 19:32

The thornless roses , as I have said in a previous post , I have 6 different Lines to crossbreed, that ( Safrano X Gold Bunny) is thornless. A lot of people out there love roses but shy away because of the thorns, so its the way to go. The breeder of Smooth Buttercup has a whole series of them.

Just went out to check the hips on Sympathie all of these have stuck well and are huge.

Multiflora cottage pink
R. virginiana
R. Forrestiana
R. Bracteata

R. Pomifera Duplex , one left but not looking good , already lost one.
Was just looking at Hurst's septet formulae, Pomifera is quite unusual and looks like this

3+1 CDEE , Which would be (Seed)CDE and (Pollen) E, Using the pollen, would be like using the pollen of a diploid rose on a tetraploid, therefore causing some problems. maybe?? time to think Hmmmm

Hurst's septet formulae, I only use when crossing with species roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum