» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Some more new ones

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some more new ones

Post by Guest on 26th January 2011, 13:19

These were taken today blooms could be better but we had some pretty hot weather here

Back to top Go down

Re: Some more new ones

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 14:37

wow!! 'Safrano' x 'Gold Bunny' gave you that!!! That's awesome. Pity it won't stay very single like that. Cool wavy petals. Warren, would you have any spare pieces of 'Wendy' I could try? I'd like to send you a Benardella miniature that is also an awesome breeder called 'Benardella's Pearl'. There are no photos of 'Wendy' on HMF. You should upload some.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 26th January 2011, 21:50

Why won't it stay single like that? It's the one that stopped me dead! how big are those flowers? Any perfume? Wow!

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th January 2011, 22:14

If I'm seeing things rightly, some of the flowers have more than 5 petals or petaloids. This means they aren't single but nearly single and because it is the first flower the petal count increases as it matures. By this time next year it could twice as many, if not more, petals. It should also increase in size. The bottom flower has 6 petals and the top one looks to have a few more. It will be a lovely rose no matter how many petals it has.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 27th January 2011, 18:45

Well done Warren, great result for your efforts.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8th February 2011, 19:35

The WendyX Altissimo I use in my breeding is this one, extremely fertile but gives good results

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th March 2011, 17:59

An other update on the young ones

I think this one will be good, I was on the hunt for scent , reason I used Conrad F Meyer, the bloom is a little ratty but you get the idea.

I was after some striping but it did'nt happen, bloom is still nice though and quite big

This is covered with these blooms

This is covered with these blooms

With this breeding, could turn out interesting

This is a cross I did years ago and hummed and harrd about registering it, still in that frame of mind mmmmmmmmmm?

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 4th March 2011, 18:07

Have to admire your stamina, enthusiasm and knack with hybridising. I particularly like SafranoxGold Bunny, some of the Abe Darby crosses as well as Charles Austin crosses. You must have so much patience.

I really hope that all this work pays off for you Warren.

Well done!
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th March 2011, 19:10

Thanks Rita, You would 'nt believe the hrs I put in to my breeding programme, this all starts 9 mths ago, spending hrs and hrs going through data. At the moment I have around 700 roses I have bred, all at different stages ( those already registered and those being assessed and growing out. As I walk through them I see a multitude of crosses in my head, sounds a bit corny does'nt it ?

An Italian mate of mine said to me one day ( you going to make any money out of these) I said to him , if you do this because of commercial value the quality will not be there, but if you do it because of the love for it quality will always be high, sort of like that Kevin Costner movie , build it and they will come.

I breath, live and talk roses, so I don't find it hard work. So far I have 'nt found any one in Deniliquin , where you can have a stand up conversation on roses yet.

I have some interesting crosses this year, ranging from Tea crosses , HP crosses, Species crosses and HT x HT, cant wait

cheers Warren

Last edited by Ozroz on 5th March 2011, 07:22; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th March 2011, 19:44

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now you are just teasing Smile Love the deli8cate pink of this one.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 4th March 2011, 21:31

Lots of lovelies there - but it's Safrano x Gold Bunny that makes my heart go pit-a-pat. I don't think you ever said whether it is fragrant?

Meryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 5th March 2011, 06:35

I love them all. Stunning work, Warren. I'm coming to live in Deniliquin so you've got someone to talk to.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5th March 2011, 07:31

Thanks Dave, would be good to have some one to chin wag with. Bit cooler here this morning, actually got the heater going , got down to 8c .

Meryl you know I have'nt stuck my nose properly in it yet, but it did have perfume. The flowers have'nt changed much structurely ,but they have increased a lot in size, due to the plant getting bigger and stronger. I think when mature, it will be around or just under 3 ft high.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 5th March 2011, 09:46

Warren, you are amazing, I would be proud of them all.
Stock sense is a term used for top breeders of animals and poultry aquired over many years of dedication. It can't be sourced from books, internet or talking but only from being a good observer. You have to have what is new to me and that is Rose Sense.

We should have a Rose Breeders Hall of Fame which requires 10 members to vote anyone in. I want to start now and nominate you with my first vote.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5th March 2011, 15:07

Hi Ozeboy
I have been observing for a long time, at the age of 5 I collected birds eggs , blew them out and kept them in match boxes with cotton wool, at 9 yrs old I had my first microscope, all hell could 'nt keep me away from that.

When I studied Ag Science the trouble I got into, I questioned every thing, the Deputy Dean of the college did'nt like it when I told him he was too academic and text books were a guide for things to be applied in real life. My marketing lecturer did'nt mind the questioning and he said it was better than his students sitting there like plebs. If people never questioned anything knowledge would never evolve.

With stock sense, having a clear mind, dont get too complicated and just take a good look, the answer is always in front of you.

With the Rose Hall Fame, I think there a lot of people who should be nominated way ahead of me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5th March 2011, 18:00

This is the Safrano X Gold Bunny I have been waiting for, it has taken a while to find its legs but it is on its way

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th March 2011, 16:55

Just got back from out of town, looking at the new ones, now I am getting real excited , the safrano X peace flowers are looking absolutely smokin hot, Pink yellow blend full double Woohoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th March 2011, 17:05

That's a good combo. I was thinking I'll keep my 'Peace' a little longer to try it on a few hardier things next year. Does it take after the Tea or the HT in habit and health. 'Peace' is a dog of a rose here... definately needs a warmer drier climate than what I can give it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th March 2011, 18:34

Its more Tea, but being a triploid its taken a while for it to stabilise, but its kicking on now, was a very late seedling so its got a bit of catching up to do.
Its pretty heavily scented as well , so big bonus there.

Good thing about using Peace or its offspring, you get nice colours on the reverse of the petals ( whites and yellows) which gives you an other colour in the bloom.

Dont worry Peace gets BS pretty bad here in Deniliquin, but I use it because of what it can produce.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th March 2011, 19:05

I have used it before in pretty 'out there' crosses. I had about 100 Scabrosa x Peace seedlings a few years ago... I binned the lot as they were runty horrible things. I'm thinking now I would like to see what Peace could do on Trier and Temple Bells... so many ways to go with roses... is what I love about it Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 8th March 2011, 04:23

Ozroz wrote:.......... the safrano X peace flowers are looking absolutely smokin hot, Pink yellow blend full double Woohoo

Howdy Warren,
where is the pic ? Can't believe that the cross ist still better than Safrano X Gold Bunny
Spectator ......

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8th March 2011, 07:53

Howdy Bemo

I have 2 plots of roses, One is here in town where I live and the other one is 20 minutes drive out of town, were the magority of them are situated. The Safrano x Peace is out there, and the only day I did'nt take my camera it put out its best bloom, and it is heavily scented which is a big big bonus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th March 2011, 11:24

Just going through Safrano's offspring on HMF and came across
Sharon's Delight it has petals similar to this, must be a Safrano trait

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 10th March 2011, 14:21

Just had a look. Sharon's Delight is nothing like as pretty as your rose.

Meryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum