Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

New Ones

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Ones

Post by Guest on 21st January 2011, 14:46

These were planted out August 2010 as 10wk old seedlings

This is a Alba hybrid which repeats very well

This rose is thornless

This rose is almost thornless

Back to top Go down

Re: New Ones

Post by Dave on 22nd January 2011, 06:17

Congratulations, OZROZ! They all show great promise. I also use Austins in breeding with the aim of producing more heat/humidity tolerant/disease resistant offspring (but beauty is a high priority too). Are you coastal or inland sth NSW?

I've used A Darby a lot this year, as well as the HP Sidney Linton from Bishops Lodge. It does quite well here, and I like the fact that it has a big spring flush, closes down during the worst of summer and flushes up again for autumn when we get our best blooms here. And it is extremely fertile. Every hip is huge:)

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd January 2011, 07:16

Howdy Dave
Inland NSW , directly north of echuca, the Austin's are good as they give incredible structure, but one downfall is , there are a lot of offspring with proliferations, a really bad trait to have, seems to be more when using his reds.
I crossed A Darby with Queen Elizabeth and the most amazing flower, Charles Austin is an other which gives unbelievable results. It is quite fertile in its self, crossed with moderns , the results can give OGR look alikes, similar to HP's , Cenitfolia's and Portland's, with huge scent.

The yellows above are a cross of Charles Austin X Vanilla, I can hear other breeders saying why vanilla, different structure all together,. Vanilla was bred for the florist trade and is thornless, crossing it C Austin with big a petal count , the offspring would look ok , loosing some of the C Austin petal count and be thornless or almost.

In this batch of seedlings I have around six different lines of breeding where the offspring are thornless or almost, some of the crosses are Safrano X Goldbunny and Duchesse de Montebello X Blue Moon. Crossing these two with the other four should give me some roses that are of value

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 22nd January 2011, 14:48

Now comes the hard bit Warren Wink You need to decide what goes on and what is composted... with seedlings like this the choice is going to be VERY hard.

BTW... I went and bought Graham Thomas today to play with... I big plant of it so with any luck after a bit oif a feed and some water (it was VERY dry in the pot at the nursery) I might get something to do some late work with.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd January 2011, 15:18

Simon, there are a lot I could'nt photograph , we had high 30's and the blooms got a bit scorched. That Sympathie X Indica Magor is about to repeat again, and I think that Sympathie X Alba Maxima is going to turn out ok as well , repeats very fast. Next month is cullin day , can'nt get to scentimental just go for it.

Last edited by OZROZ on 22nd January 2011, 20:31; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 22nd January 2011, 15:24

Warren can I have the culls please
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 22nd January 2011, 20:12

Simon you will be very happy with GT - in every way Very Happy

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 23rd January 2011, 02:56

Howdy Warren,
again great. I'm most impressed of the result from 'Sympathie x Alba'.

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23rd January 2011, 06:48

Howdy bemo
Alba maxima is a rose that does'nt seem to come down with any disease and growth is vigorous, had two seedlings repeat for me, this one is exceptional just keeps on flowering. Will have to see how the flower forms as it gets stronger and the canes get thicker, giving a bit more sap flow to develop the flower. Bemo have some real interesting crosses on sympathie this year, the hips are starting to yellow at the moment and with our temperatures getting up to high 30's to 40c they wont take long to ripen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum