Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

It has started

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It has started

Post by Guest on 13th January 2011, 07:05

This morning I picked 2 hips and processed the seed, all looked good.If you are wondering why harvesting hips so early, my breeding cycle starts from sept, which gives me a huge advantage as we have a very long growing period in this area

Back to top Go down

Re: It has started

Post by Admin on 13th January 2011, 10:40

Rolling Eyes

I won't be picking any hips until at least the end of autumn. Because the weather is more mild here I can pollinate right up till the start of autumn. So long as I leave a minimum of 120 days (4 months) for the seeds to develop they should be right. Which lines up nicely with the start of winter when the seeds go in the fridge, sometimes right till the start of spring (or whenever they start germinating). So, I've got a month and a half of pollinating left here.

Last edited by Simon on 13th January 2011, 13:43; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13th January 2011, 12:57

Crikey completely different breeding season all together, I hope to get seedlings up and growing by autumn, they do most of their stabilizing during the winter months and are planted out in the plot around august. A few years ago a planted some late seedlings in summer and took so long to stabilize, remember when we spoke i said they are in the full elements, planting in august you get awesome vigour and by summer their roots are down pretty deep to cope. Its a system I have worked out for this area and I have never looked back.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 13th January 2011, 16:33

Warren as you know I am in Mudgee, our time frame would be a bit shorter than yours I would think. I am about to venture into the big world of producing roses(breeding) shortly, with help from the likes of yourself and Simon and any other bugger that wants to have their say, your welcome Bernhard. My wife Carole is keen on Bonica after seeing some of your crosses.
Rugosa's might be a start with some silly crosses if they work, I am going to keep in contact with Damo and work possibly with some of his thoughts.
The other person I will talk to is Ozrosarian with some of his possible crosses with David Austin's.. from memory his idea was Gallica's and Damasks'
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 14th January 2011, 03:30

has started here too:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

two batches from open pollination, which have been sawn alongside without stratification (Pauls Scarlet Climber& Sympathie). Hope they will not bite Very Happy

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 14th January 2011, 07:00

Any other crosses Bernhard that you have to come along.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wphvet on 14th January 2011, 11:28

Dear Folks,
Re this subject if I can defer to the experts as I too am wishing to dabble in hybridising.
I admit to being a bit confused re timing.
If one crosses say in spring,,then 3 mths as a hip,which I understand is recommended,
then that brings one to late summer,,,which would then require several months of stratification
to time with sowing seeds next spring.
How does one eat up the long time,,e.g does one leave hips on longer,does one leave in fridge longer,or do we just ignore winter and sow regardless?
Also any suggestions re Noisette/Tea breeding re necessity for stratification.
Many Thanks.
Stephen

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14th January 2011, 13:24

Howdy Steve
Once the hip is ripe, its picked, split open, all seed taken out cleanly, for stratification. The seed is then stored in normal household fridge temperature, untill there is activity, such as root growth, this will start depending on the species or cultivar type from 4 wks onwards. So after a month check weekly.

I did some Tea crosses last year but for pure Tea/ Noisette , I am not sure , you will have to get some help from others in the forum. The Tea crosses I did , were treated the same way in stratification as all my other crosses.

As I said in the first posting of this subject, I start picking hips from now on , and usually have seedlings up way before winter and are grown out during winter being bought in under cover at night.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 15th January 2011, 05:04

roseman wrote:Any other crosses Bernhard that you have to come along.

only a few...I was impressed about the charme of the old Alfred and set up AD with him :-) 'Alfred Colomb' has been pollinated with 'Sympathie' and the pollen of 'Mittsommermärchen' were given to 'NDR1'. 'Sympathie' has also been crossed with Ghislaine de Feligonde but the pollination worked only on 'Sympathie' (maybe to large pollentubes ?)
I am also curious about the 20 Seeds I got from the 1st blooms of 'Mittsommermärchen' (OP).
Further in the OP runs: Westerland, Lucia, Crown Princess Margaretha, Pauls Scarlet, Ghislaine...... , Abraham Darby, Rugosa alba

Thats more than anough, otherwise I will get out of space Crying or Very sad

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th January 2011, 17:02

Gawd! My "oldest" hips ('Lilac Charm' x 'Honey Dijon') have only just hit 2 months! LOL!!! Did my 300th cross of the year today & hope to do at least 400 by the end of January! It would be great to start earlier but my roses were veeeeery slow off the mark this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum