» Who grows 'Scentimental'?
by OklahomaDelight 9th March 2018, 20:00

» Roses in pots
by OklahomaDelight 9th March 2018, 10:55

The E.S Floods

Go down

The E.S Floods

Post by OzRose on 11th January 2011, 19:25

The country is going crazy at the moment.
We have had floods up north here in the Gascoyne and they have ruined a lot of market gardens and plantations around Carnarvon and there have been heavy stock losses out in the station country.
Down south of Perth , FESA and the V.BF.B's have been battling a big bushfire that was deliberately lit on Sunday.
Eight homes have been confirmed as destroyed or badly damaged , hundreds of people have been displaced to evacuation centers , there have been losses of livestock on the rural properties , losses of sheds and machinery , miles of fencing , precious hay [it's as scarce as hens teeth here this year because of the drought] power poles and all the rest of it. Fortunately the sad lessons of Black Saturday are still fresh in people's minds and they have heeded the warnings to leave early if they aren't actively geared to be able to defend their properties .

But it all really pales besides the catastrophe unfolding in QLD and now also impacting on northern NSW .
Sadly alreadly 9 confirmed dead [after yesterday's flash flood in Toowoomba and surrounding areas] and 5 [so I believe] of them children . That's not counting the casualties from other parts of the state from the flood conditions. Heartbreaking.
And I can only go by what I see of the conditions , on Sky or the other news channels , but it is almost incomprehensible to an outsider.

I know there are Rose Talk members that live in those areas affected ; please be safe, I hope your families and friends stay safe too , I am praying for you all .

Best Wishes.
Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Re: The E.S Floods

Post by The Estate on 12th January 2011, 10:39

It is all just SO devastating , I find it hard to comprehend that an area 2 times plus Vic is under water and on the opposite side of the country in flames Sad
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th January 2011, 12:35

My old home in Moree is underwater now too. Back in about 95-96 it came close but I have just heard Moree has been evacuated.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12th January 2011, 14:44

And now people being evacuated in Vic and Tas. I used to think of La Nina as salvation after El Nino, but she's worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th January 2011, 17:58

It's been raining solid for three days here now. And now the wind is coming up Hide

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 12th January 2011, 20:52

I have a few friends in Brissy I have been trying to get hold of with no luck - pray to God that they are ok. The ones in Rocky survived the flood up there. I agree Rosalie, the country is going crazy - its almost as if mother nature is telling us not to 'limit her powers'.

I'm off to Geelong on Friday for four days, so hope the VIC floods have not extended down there.

I also hope that all our forum friends are safe from both floods and bushfires - I feel so sick for those who have lost everything AND loved ones.

Stay safe everyone.
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 13th January 2011, 00:37

La Nina, La Nina. La Nina! During a drought we long for it, but after having it for a few weeks we just want it to go away. Australia is a land of extremes that's for certain.
The little creek through our town became a raging, angry monster the other day. About 100 residents were evacuated but most just as a precautionary measure. Some homes and businesses got flooded. Thankfully no loss of life, which is more than I can say for Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley. Grantham copped the full force of nature's fury when a metre high wall of water went rushing down the Toowoomba Range, taking everything in its path. There are still a lot of people missing and unaccounted for.
Where I live is on the side of a hill and we do get a 30cm deep gully rushing through our block during a big deluge, but that is the extent of it. We generally remain high and dry. The power did not even go off once.
I hope that our forum members and their families in Brisbane suburbs, parts of Victoria, and in WA are all safe and well tonight.
IanM

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13th January 2011, 12:30

Good to see you back on air. I'm trying to find out if Bonita's OK through other channels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 14th January 2011, 03:21

noticed the sister of el Nino last week the 1st time when our weatherfrogs reported about your flood.
We have a lot of water at the moment too, most from the melted snow, but far away from the masses you got, awful !

keep dry & all the best
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate on 14th January 2011, 17:41

My back yard at lunchtime and it was still raining

Shocked

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14th January 2011, 19:24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14th January 2011, 23:30

Bonita is OK, as is Julie Lack (another Toowoomba Heritage Roses person). They say Toowoomba is a very sad place, and that supplies of fresh food are very low; petrol has run out, and diesel is rationed, as people have been panic-buying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 15th January 2011, 00:00

simon

How's the rain going down there?
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1453
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 15th January 2011, 00:39

It's stopped for the evening... lot's of water. I'm up high but the roads are cut all around me:

This is at the footy oval at the bottom of the hill I live on this afternoon.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 15th January 2011, 04:30

OMG!!! Where does all the water come from? Nobody reported (yet) here about a flood in Tasmania.
Simon, hope you and your family will also keep healthy.

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 15th January 2011, 07:14

As you are safe Simon, have and your neighbours thought about water sports, e.g. water polo roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5167
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th January 2011, 08:13

THATS A BIT UNTASTEFULL , ITS QUITE SERIOUS , FIRSTLY PEOPLE HAVE LOST LIFE AND SECONDLY LOST PROPERTY AND THEIR LIVELY HOOD'.

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 15th January 2011, 14:20

Warren I am sorry that I have upset you. I was mucking around with Simon, the picture that Simon posted had nothing to do with loss of life. If you read it, it was that Simon is safe and others around him. At no time did I mention Qld/ Northern NSW/ Horsham Vic or even Brazil, yes your area has had rain as had Broken Hill and us. I do think you might have missed the joke.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5167
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum