» Hi, I am new here :)
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

Maybe some thing good

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maybe some thing good

Post by Guest on 3rd January 2011, 11:37

A rose I bred a few years ago Great Western x Iceberg, produced a flower that was very doubled and did nt have much in the way of anthers, what i did find I crossed with Thomas Graham and now have a very well formed hip. I think this will create some thing nice , can just hope and see. The reason I used Graham Thomas was to open the flower up , otherwise you end up with something to tight

This is the Great Western X Iceberg

Back to top Go down

Re: Maybe some thing good

Post by Meryl on 3rd January 2011, 12:39

That looks pretty amazing to me! What is the bush (health etc) like?

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 3rd January 2011, 12:49

Has a very old fashioned "cabbage-y" sort of look . I suppose it doesn't like damp weather much . I like the colour , does it have much scent ?
Shall look forward to seeing the Graham Thomas crosses.

Cheers. Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd January 2011, 17:12

Firstly to Meryl, the health of the bush is good. Howdy Rosalie,it does have that old world look about it and the perfume is heavily sweet. It needs a bit of heat to open fully, but i feel GT will fix the problem.

Its sort of got that (Souvenir de la Malmaison) look.

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG on 3rd January 2011, 17:32

Very Happy you took the words right out of my mouth ... I was going to say Souvenir de la Malmaison as well, and then there is also a similarity to Claire Austin.
RitaG

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th January 2011, 15:54

Hey Warren,

Margaret asked on HMF if 'Great Western' suckered on it's own roots? Do you have any idea? I'm interested in this as well. It's a lovely looking rose.

I thin the old 'Iceberg' still has a few surprises left up its sleeve too. Have you ever looked at 'Burgundy Iceberg's pollen.. the anthers are almost jet black and the when the dehisce a small slit appears in the black/red anthers and then the pollen spills out.. it's pretty amazing really.

Have you ever used any bourbons with moderns before. I used 'Vivid' this year on moderns and have hips forming for the first time. What's the bush like on this one? It's a lovely toned flower.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th January 2011, 17:59

Howdy simon

Great Western suckering on its own roots, you need to stand there with a cricket bat and wack them as they pop up in front of you. When I planted it bare rooted it actually flowered and grew to a monsterous size ( 7ft) in the first year.

I used iceberg a few years ago did a (Iceberg X Mme Caroline Testou) and produced a pale pink with a white eye, perfume is like sticking your nose in a carnation. I called it Disco Lemonade. I think i used Burgundy Iceberg this year, but I would have to hit the record book to check.

Old garden types crossed with moderns

This next section , where do I start. Have used Bourbons , Gallicas , Hp , Portlands and Mosses in search of structure and perfume. With Bourbons , Gallicas and some HP's the mildew was so bad that about 90% were culled within 4wks of germination, the only gallica cross which showed some resistance was when tuscany was used. Some HP X modern offspring showed some mildew but not as bad as the Gallica's and Bourbon's. Laneii the moss which i crossed with moderns the results were better than all of the above.

I think when on a search for perfume and structure of old world roses , one has to very aware some of the old timers can be prone to fungus problems and the modern which you decide to use , must be very sound , health wise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum