Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

good ol sympathie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

good ol sympathie

Post by Guest on 27th November 2010, 06:36

Last edited by OZROZ on 28th November 2010, 07:49; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: good ol sympathie

Post by Admin on 27th November 2010, 09:45

These sound like excellent crosses Warren. I too can hardly wait to see the results Smile

After hearing of your success with laevigata on 'Safrano' I took some laevigata pollen out of the freezer and slapped it onto 'Safrano' and it too looks to have taken... pretty excited about that. The other one I'm REALLY happy about is rugosa 'Alba' x 'Golden Chersonese'... seems to have taken as well and the hips are growing huge... can't beat rugosa roses as seed mares... they're just great Smile In fact everything seems to have taken on rugosa 'alba' this year... got a great cross of rugosa 'alba' with 'Trier' developing too. Alba seems much more cooperative than 'Scabrosa' or 'Ann Endt'.

My 'Sympathie' has just shot leaves and is starting to grow strongly. At a time when I have every fungus imaginable it seems to be holding its own nicely. Don't think I'll get much in the way of flowers this year but the year after is shaping up to look good. Bernhard bred a most beautiful seedling by putting the yellow flower carpet rose pollen onto 'Sympathie'. If you would like to try this I can send you pollen if you don't have it to play with.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th November 2010, 10:11

Last edited by OZROZ on 28th November 2010, 07:49; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th November 2010, 12:10

Yes, I'm interested in using species as well. This is one I'm using at the moment:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(photo taken this morning)

It's Rosa longicuspis var. sinowilsonii . I have a few spare potted plants of it if anyone is interested in using it. I thought it might have been 'Wedding Day' but have since seen 'Wedding Day' and am fairly certain of the above identification. It's a very vigorous rose. Mine is only 2 years old now and is already 10ft high and wide and it's just getting going. Almost evergreen here in Tas. Very disease resistant. Hardly affected by anything. Only complaint is that due to its evergreen nature its old leaves show signs of 'senility' Rolling Eyes

I also have spare plants of Rosa wichurana (provenance Victoria State Rose Garden), that people are welcome to (but it's also house eaters). There is probably a space bracteata around somewhere too... would need to go check. Spare plants of 'Immensee" too.

(ps, on the internet when you type in all caps it usually means you are shouting... it's good netiquette to type normally instead)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 28th November 2010, 09:23

Simon could I have a ' Longicuspis ' for a friend who is getting into species roses. I could do it here given more time buy her need is, as speedy as possible.

I like the blooms for mine has not bloomed as yet.

The above friend also wanted ' Bracteata ' which I rooted and still have the marks from selecting some good wood. That is still on the top of the list of all time unfriendly roses. The thorns are large and hooked so I don't ever want it to get loose. Best contained in half a wine cask.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th November 2010, 09:35

No worries Bruce. Note it is not the normal longicuspis. It's longicuspis var. sinowilsonii. The two are very different looking. Would you like just one or two? I haven't checked whether there are any bracteata around yet... I'm looking for root shoots around the parent plant. There may not be any as the parent plant is pretty stable so won't be inclined to 'pup'. It is meant to grow easily from cuttings so if there are none around I can strike some cuttings.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 28th November 2010, 10:51

Simon is it the same as the one you sent me before? If so I can root one here, just thought yours would be more advanced.

Let's both root one, am sure some pollinators will want left overs.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th November 2010, 11:02

I have three spare plants of longicuspis var. sinowilsonii, the same as I sent you before, but no spare plants of bracteata that I have found yet. here might be some around somewhere. You guys are welcome to the plants of longicuspis var. sinowilsonii but I will probably have to strike some more bracteata.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 28th November 2010, 18:14

Please send a Longicuspis var. sinowilsonii to help my friend out. She is an addict in the making so would like to help her. I have Bracteata rooting for her at the moment so am OK for that

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th November 2010, 19:40

Would you like a wichurana as well Bruce?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 28th November 2010, 20:18

Simon, Yes, please.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 30th November 2010, 02:53

Warren, your posting seems to be lost in space.............Waiting for pics too -Smile

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum