by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Bruce... some feedback...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bruce... some feedback...

Post by Admin on 21st November 2010, 20:36

Hi Bruce,

Thought you might like to hear something interesting regarding 'Don Juan'. The little grafted one is just starting to shoot now. I thought it was going to be touch and go because I think it got a little hot in the post and the bud was black when it arrived. It has shot two buds from the graft around the old black bud and looks like it is going to take off. It's in a pot of 50:50 garden soil (my red dirt) and potting mix. Now the interesting part. It looks like almost all the 'Don Juan' cuttings are going to work as well. This is a really good sign that they will grow really well on their own roots and and even better sign that it is going to be a very valuable breeder to make own root roses. They have started to develop leaves and I hope they will take off soon. Com Red looks to have taken as well. I failed with the other cuttings unfortunately.

P.S. I also managed to find another plant of gigantea so I'm hoping this will work out ok. I think the other one was 'Lamarque' now that my other 'Lamarque' is about to flower as well.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Bruce... some feedback...

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st November 2010, 21:14

Simon, if you can get Meryl to post a picture of her Don, it is one that we gave her just on 2 years ago. This was one I was given as a cutting. The gentleman that gave it to me, just sticks them in a pot and they grow.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 21st November 2010, 21:20

I love that so much Dave... that's what all roses should be like IMO.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 25th November 2010, 21:43

Hello Simon, I had a lengthy reply ready to send and lost the lot, will try again
Pleased you like Don Juan which is one of my favourites, wish I was more computer literate so as to send numerous pix I have.
Briefly this rose DJ has everything for formal gardens and almost every bloom is a hip with plenty of seeds. Colour, fragrance and reasonably healthy even when grown here.
The budded rooted Don Juan I sent was never in risk of not shooting but after being budded 3 years ago, hilled up over the tape and covered by that wonderful protective Kikuyu grass it looked pretty dead. That's one of my best kept secrets now out in public. I have 2 others similar which I cut off and instantainously brusher the top with moulten Bees wax and 10 mm around the sides. Then repeat 5 times to make a cap seal to prevent die back.

The Com Red was found growing well in impossible condittionsed, it makes hips with plenty of seeds. I have a lot of seedlings from it, one is pink.
It has no fragrance but everything else is bullet proof. All this rose needs is a real catchy name like Eternity, Forever Strong.

Had better close as I am flat out these days propagating and lifting last seasons baby roses.

Best of luck with these and will retry the lost ones in winter for they too are very worthwhile for a rose breeder.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 25th November 2010, 22:22

Hi Simon, sorry I forgot the ownroot part of your post. I don't do ownroot at present for I am in a big hurry to get growth. Pleased it grows well from cuttings, being a climber it should be good in this regard.
The Rose Talk members should love this rose being so easy to propagate.

When grown on an arbour the blooms look upwards so it is really good to look down on from a verandah or balcony.

I have not seen anything as good amoungst recent PBR releases. No garden is complete without this deep red, fragrant beauty.

Meryl may have cuttings but I have limited numbers of 2 year old DJ's for sale bareroot this winter.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum