by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Milk and Roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Milk and Roses

Post by heartofhush on 20th November 2010, 08:53

Hi
Can someone who has much more experience than me to do with roses, please let me know if milk is good or bad for my roses.

I have searched the net and I have found sites with people saying it is a myth yet i came across an Australian garden site well known on TV that yes you can use milk for your roses.

After reading all of this I just got so darn confused I thought I should just ask people who really know.

I am thinking it may work for different people and for people who live in different areas.

If anyone can enlighten me i would be most appreciated.

If you do use milk what is YOUR ratio of the milk and water please.

Thank you for any help you can offer
Lu

heartofhush

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Milk and Roses

Post by Admin on 20th November 2010, 13:04

I've tried it and never been able to get it to work. Others on here have used to to good effect. I think it really depends how bad the black spot pressure is in your area. In my area it just doesn't work.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20th November 2010, 16:25

i think it is more effective against mildew's, the milk fats put an oily layer over the leaf making it unpleasant for the mildew to develope

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 20th November 2010, 19:46

We tried it a couple of years ago for mildew. It sort of worked but was not overly effective.Be careful not to make it too string. If I remember correctly this causes problems. I think 20-30% is the max you should use but please check this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 20th November 2010, 19:51

I was under the impression it was a general purpose fungicide... maybe that's why it didn't work lol

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 21st November 2010, 08:15

Hi everyone

Thank you for replying.

I don't think i have any problems with my roses except the black spot.

The reason I asked about Milk and Roses is because i Googled about other ways of using milk and i got pages saying you can use milk on your roses.

I did have a lady tell me when i started growing roses, she said to give the roses milk, i think it was to make them healthy or flower more.

I dont really know.

But before i went ahead and used the milk i thought i should ask people who have been growing roses a lot longer than me.

I have read many ratios from 1 to 3 and less to 1 to 7 or more

So now i am totally confused.

Does anyone have any suggested ratios please.

Thank you
Lu[b]
heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 21st November 2010, 09:47

Check this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 21st November 2010, 11:50

Hi Simon Yes that is one of the sites that i read and then the more i read the more i got so confused.
Thank you, I will follow what that page says.
I guess they have tried it before adding the information to the show and their website.

Thanks Lu
heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 21st November 2010, 23:28

I find milk quite effective for powdery mildew and it also seems to halt the spread of black spot. I generally just tip some into the sprayer and fill the rest with rain water. Seems to work regardless of the strength. It provides effective control. If you have a really bad outbreak of disease though, it is always best to use a chemical.

The odd thing is I've tried milk on native plants that suffer from powdery mildew and have had limited success.

I have never noticed any bad effects from the milk.

I've heard that bicarbonate of soda is also a good household remedy, especially for powdery mildew. It works by altering the pH of the leaf surface. But I'm not sure what the rate is now. Perhaps someone else on this forum may know?
IanM

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd November 2010, 09:54

When I bought this deceased estate property 30 years ago there were 125 stone fruit trees growing and in the packing shed was 2 four litre bottles of Lebaycid for Fruit Fly and a large bag of Copper Sulphate for fungus.
During this period there was a high incidence of cancer amoungst growers so after 5 years in the orchard business I pulled out all trees.
I still use these when absolutly necessary like when buds are activated in September but in a garden of mature roses, not necessary, stick with milk or adopt a no spray attitude.
Having seen so much ill health from chemicals in this area I thought this warning might be timely.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 22nd November 2010, 11:22

I could not agree more Ozeboy. I now only use chemicals if absolutely necessary. Some people are all too quick to reach for the nearest noxious poison to solve what is often a simple problem. I am a member of another rose forum and I recall some years ago a member asked about the best way to control aphids. Others immediately posted up a whole list of noxious chemicals, enough to make Agent Orange seem saintly.
The thread eventually got the better of a senior member who posted up a very simple remedy that was probably the most effective. He said "just use your thumb and forefinger, press gently beneath each bud and wipe upwards - problem solved!" Smile
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 22nd November 2010, 11:42

Hi
I dont like using chemicals at all,mainly because they make me sick and even just me being around someone who is spraying somehow the chemical ends up on my tongue, i am just too sensitive to use and be around chemicals and not only that they are bad for everything around us and the earth.

I am trying diatomaceous earth and a rememdy that was given to me by a horticulturist using cigarette butts.

Yes I know it sounds eewwww and i dont smoke either so i had to get the smokers to keep there butts for me.

But we shall see what works here and for me.

Thank you
Lu

heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 22nd November 2010, 12:32

I'm guessing it must be the nicotine in the cigarette butts. They are using nicotine derivatives in a lot of the so-called organic or environmentally friendly sprays these days, such as Defender MaxGuard TM. They are said not to harm bees, but there is still a withholding period on these.

I found the bicarbonate of soda ratio. It is 1-2 teaspoons per litre of water with a few spots of pure soap added to make it stick.

This is the spray recipe:
2 tbls baking soda
2 tbls pure soap
2 tlbs vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (skip this if the weather is hot)
4 litres water

or use in a 1 litre spray bottle half a tbls of each.

Drench plants getting undersides use as much as you want!

Note: If rainy, it will wash off very easily.
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM on 22nd November 2010, 12:36

Here's another one with Listerine! Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I can't understand the use of vinegar, as this will react with the baking soda, thus creating a neutral product. Therefore the pH will not be altered. So in this case I suspect only the listerine and soap is really doing anything! Smile
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum